Injuries from falls sidelined more than 4,000 state workers in the last three years. It’s likely that many more were injured but were too embarrassed to report the incident. These falls resulted in human suffering, time away from work, and, in some cases, an inability to return to work. Here are some interesting facts:
- North Carolina spent more than $35 million over the last three years on employee injuries due to falls.
- More than 1,300 workers missed time from work due to falls.
- The Department of Labor lists falls among the top four causes of injuries for all North Carolina workers.
- More than 60 percent of all falls happen to state workers walking on the same level.
Common ways to avoid falling are:
- watch where you are walking
- do not text while walking
- clean up beverage spills immediately or guard the hazard until it is cleaned
- alert authorities if floor is slick or stickier than normal, and
- wear appropriate shoes that provide support.